Thursday, November 6, 2014

Special Delivery

Hello OTR friends. Fiona here with you today to share my latest creation. I used this months mood palette as inspiration for my decorated pizza box. 



Yes I said pizza box! LOL Let me explain. 



So I submit a few of my layouts to magazines (the one's they'll take anyway) and they ask that you send in the original for photographing. A pizza box, just happens to be the best size for a 12x12 layout and so that is what we use to transport them around in.



A little while back Scrapbook Memories magazine put out a challenge for submitters to decorate their pizza boxes for them. Just for a bit of fun really. The tradition of decorating submission boxes is not a new one but it's been largely only done randomly and very occasionally. Once SBM put out the call for boxes to be decorated the craze went viral!



They then started returning crafters creations to them in other crafters boxes they had decorated. It is so exciting to receive one of these boxes! and even more exciting when someone receives yours!



Some of them are mailed all over Australia and added to by their new creators. It has become such an excitement that a facebook group has been set up by Heather McMahon (A current SBM Master) to help find and share owners of each fabulous creation. "The Great SBM PizzaBox Mailart Hunt".



So this is my latest one. I hope the receiver likes it.











Here is a quick little run down of how I created this effect.



With Pizza boxes, the thrill of receiving one is grand but even bigger is the thrill of adding to one. This box came from SBM and was lovingly taped up with purple spotty tape by the very talented Natalie Elphinstone other wise known as One Scrappy Doctor. As soon as I saw the purple I knew it was the right box for this challenge mood palette.



So I added!






I made up a concoction of modelling paste, paint and Spray to create a beautiful gooey purple texture paste and I lathered it over a coordinating piece of 12x12 patterned paper I had in my stash using a palette knife. I think the paper is from a Simple Stories collection. 






Then I gave it a light spray with the Dylusions while it was still damp.



To decorate it, I die cut some flowers from a die using more coordinating patterned paper to add on the top of the background. The key to decorating these boxes is to keep it flat. So adding texture can be tricky.






One way to do it is to use textured papers. In this case I used Sticky Bark paper for the small leaves that adorn the larger flowers. Sticky Bark paper is literally paper with a very thin shaving of wood attached to it. It's actual real wood and the texture is divine!



I hope that I've inspired you to try something different. Even if you never submit any pages to a magazine you may find you still need to transport them one day and what a perfect way to do it!

Why not pop over to our challenge and give this colour combo a go yourself? Follow the link here for more inspiration and to link up your creation.



Until next time



Cheers

Fiona xx

6 comments :

  1. Fabulous FIona! This is a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Heather xx I haven't sent it off yet. Saving it for a special occasion ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I didn't know I was being trendy. All the pizza boxes from my business, Time To Create go out decorated. I love what you did to yours Fiona! It is a mini work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun is that. And they'll certainly remember you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Lynn yes mine do stand out! It's just a bit of an excuse for extra creating really xx

      Delete