Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Art Journal page - Step by step with Judy





Hi Everyone, I am so pleased to be able to share my first Off the Rails design team project "all about food" with you this morning. I seldom take photos of food and have just started to dabble into art journalling so I thought -why not an art journal page about food? My inspiration came from the quote "Laughter is Food for the Soul".


Here's what I did. Using some natural foodstuffs I produced dyes & paint. The hessian was dyed with beetroot and I mixed turmeric and paprika to produce dye. I have also dyed some gauze with tea and mixed coffee with texture paste.



My 'art journal' is an up cycled children's book, so I created the background first by painting the page with gesso and covering it with torn pieces of old recipe book paper. I then applied the turmeric wash while the gesso was still wet.



Then some paprika wash to cover the remainder of the background.  Unfortunately as the gesso dried the colours did fade quite a bit but the subtle yellow and orange was quite easy to work with .



When the gesso had dried I misted with a coffee mist through a stencil and added a fussy cut picture of a woman laughing over some more recipe paper and some tissue printed with kitchen dishes. 


Then some tea stained gauze, stamping and the quote. I finished off with some hessian and more stamping and a few "splotches" of coffee texture paste through a stencil.




I hope this has given you a few ideas - there's still time to join in this months challenge.

Have a happy day. Judy

No comments :

Post a Comment