Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Mother's Day Card

We have Sandi on the blog today

Hi it's tutorial time again. With Mothers Day upon us and my mum loves flowers and butterflies I thought I'd make her this card for my Design Team Tutorial Piece for Off The Rail Scrapbooking, using our  May Challenge mood board.


Sponsor for the Month - MayLatest Mood Palette
Items I used include:
 White Card Stock from Kaszazz
 Piece of brick pattern paper from Kaisercraft 6x6 collection pad
Chipboard from '2Crafty': Butterflies and Interlocking Grid
StazOn ink- jet black
Washi tape- birds on a wire 'Kaszazz'
Dylusion inks
Mont Marte Modeling paste
A range of acrylic paint  colours to match mood palette.
Tinby Metallic Melts: Copper, Red Velvet, First Light, Glistening Snow
Versa Color ink pads: Copper, Silver, Old Rose,Atlantic, Black,
Watermark embossing ink pad by Tom Boss
Prima Flower, Kaisercraft flowers and a range of flowers from my stash.
A large gold leaf brought from a local jewellery maker shop.
The Crafters Workshop 6"x6" stencil

 Firstly I folded the card stock in half and then painted around the outer edge (approx 2.5cm) with black acrylic
paint.


Tear a piece of brick wall paper to fit over the white area ensuring you overlap it slightly over onto the black painted area.




I love using 2Crafty chipboard as it has a huge range of chippies for every occasion. One of their new sets is the Interlocking Grid which I thought was perfect as it looked similar to trellising, so I selected the section of the grid I wanted and cut it to the shape I wanted.  I covered the chipboard with some Versa Copper and Silver and working quickly then sprinkled some Tinby Metallic Melts 'Copper'. Melts are different from other embossing powers with bigger crystals, which can give a fantastic rustic finish and can be layered in sections over each  other to achieve amazing results. This is the first time I've used them and have fallen in love with these.


I seem to have misplaced my close up of the metallic melts on my little butterfly but I had recently been playing with other butterflies and metallic melts so I will show you it so you can see what the melts look like prior to heating with a heat gun. With this butterfly I had painted it and then added Watermarking embossing ink onto it before sprinkling the gold melts onto it. 


The melts are opaque so they are affected by the ink used beneath it. 





Placing the Rebekah Meier 'The Crafters Workshop' stencil onto the brick paper I used a spatula to spread the modeling paste over. You can use a heat gun or grab a coffee while you wait for it to dry. 


I added another small piece of torn paper and glued it onto the backing paper. Then used StazOn jet black and the Kaszazz stamp 'Radio Newsprint'










Using a selection of gorgeous flowers, a circle of string washi tape 'birds' and embellishments such as stars and hearts clip and paper flags from 'Kaszazz', a gold leaf and our embossed butterfly I decorated the card. I twisted the stems of the flowers to provide extra dimension.



I hope you enjoyed reading my tutorial, A big thank you to 2Crafty for sponsoring this months Challenge. If you haven't use 2Crafty products yet I recommend you head over to them and check out their products.

3 comments :