Sunday, October 26, 2014

Keep Some Room In Your Heart

Hello, Deena on the blog with you today.

When I started my art journal, I didn't know what size it was going to be, all I knew was that I was going to have loose pages. While sorting out a shelf in my creative space I found an mdf album that at the time of purchase I had no project in mind for it, but as soon as I uncovered it, I knew that I was going to use it as my art journal. 8x8 is a size that I have found that I love using and creating with.

What does a doilie, a paper flower, and a chipboard heart all have in common? 
They are on a new page of my journal.


I stuck these 3 objects along with a piece of imitation leather on to my page. To bring them all back to a neutral working surface i painted them with gesso.

To add some texture to my page I spread texture paste around the page with a palette knife. Once that was semi dry I decided that there was still not enough texture so I went through my stencils and found the Mini Harlequin from The Crafters Workshop. Still not enough textured I said to myself so the last thing I did was find a cardboard tube and pressed that into my texture paste.

Next was adding colour. I had already decided before started my art journal page that I was going to use my Derwent Inktense blocks.

You can use them in three different ways:
1. Drawing on your surface then adding water
2. Using a water brush and picking up colour straight from the block
or
3. Making your surface wet and then drawing on your surface with the inktense block.

Number 1 was my choice for adding colour. I added each colour separately and made sure that each colour was dry in between just to make sure that I did not make a dirty colour. The colours still mingled with each other but they played nice.

Once my page was completely dry I added Golden Regular Gloss Medium to the surface to seal it.

To add extra colour to the circles, flower and heart I used Faber Castell Pitt Pens. Because I had sealed the surface I could draw on it and then if I added too much colour just rub it away.

Last of all I added my stamped butterflies and quote. To add them I used Ranger Archival Ink as this is permanent ink.

The quote I used is a little hard to read but it says

'Keep some room in your heart for the unimaginable'


Dont forget you still have 4 days to enter into our current challenge.

Happy Creating

No comments :

Post a Comment